The Importance Of Keywords In Your Online Business
There is no denying the importance of keywords used in any content that is placed on the Web. Keywords allow you and everyone else who uses the Web the ability to find what you are looking for. If you need just one bit of information, you likely would spend countless hours in research trying to find it if it was not for keywords.
As an Internet marketing professional, how do keywords relate to your own business? Usually, if you are using the Web as a marketing tool in any way, keywords are an important component.
We also compare it to the importance of quality content. Is it possible to have great content and still have great keywords in your final copy? It is possible, and in fact, it is necessary to do this if you wish to have a successful website or blog. Before getting into these details, let’s start at the beginning.
WHAT ARE KEYWORDS AND WHERE TO USE THEM-
What are keywords? These are words individuals will type into a search box when they are looking for something online. For example, let us say you are looking to purchase a table. You get online, go to the search box, and type in the word “table” into the search box. The search engines start looking for websites that relate to your search. Within seconds, there is a long list or results in front of you (called the search engine results page) that you can choose from.
Now, on the flip side of the coin, if you owned a website selling tables, you would want to attract this person to your website. To do so, you need to have your website displayed on the search engine results page. To do this, you need to have the most appropriate keywords on your website. So, for example, you need to have the world “table” used properly on your website for the search engine results to actually see your website as valuable to this search.
Using keywords will help you prove your value to the search engines. The key is to know what helps you to rank well and what may not help you. Less than a decade ago, people took advantage of the keywords. Pages and pages of websites had virtually nothing but keywords on them. The problem is, when a website is packed with just keywords, it is likely not to be packed with information.
Here is an example to consider: John designs a website to attract visitors who he hopes will visit the affiliate pages he is linking to. So, he plans to put lots of keywords on his page. That way, his website will rank well, right?
There are two problems with this process. First, there is little chance that anyone who comes to such a page will feel it valuable enough to stick around and click onto affiliate links.
Second, Google and other search engines have made significant changes to their complex algorithms. Websites that have too many keywords on them will be ranked lower in the search engine results pages.
The key is to know what the actual best percentages are. Of course, Google is not going to tell you just how many keywords to use. They do offer a lot of in-depth information that you can use, though. It is this information that you want to rely on to get the results you are looking for. Google is not the bad guy: They want to provide individuals who use their search engines with the best websites online to solve their inquiries.
WHERE TO USE KEYWORDS –
Where should you use keywords? Keywords should be found in virtually anything you place online. Here are some places to use them.
ï· Place them into each article on your website. ï· Place them on your home page and sales pages. ï· Place keywords in your blog posts. ï· Use keywords in your product descriptions. ï· Use keywords on your website and in your blog tags and headings. ï· Use them on contact pages, FAQ pages, and just about any page on your website.
Doing this is essential to getting a high page ranking in the search engine result pages. Yet, you do not have to make this a complex process. In fact, it is often best to put keywords in the back of your mind while writing content for your website. Write what really matters and then come back to keywords later.
CONTENT IS KING –
One of the earliest phrases used still stands true. “Content is king” when it comes to Internet marketing. If you are putting up a page on your website, you want the person who visits your website to say, “Wow, this is great. I’m bookmarking this page to come back here often.”
The best way to do this is to include quality information on each of the pages of content you provide to your readers. In a few minutes, we will go through the process of providing quality content. Before doing so, consider what would happen if you did not have good information on your website.
1. You use keywords on your pages, but fill them with fluff content. Your reader gets to your page and thinks, “this does not help me,” and moves on.
2. The reader gets to your website and finds errors. You can no longer be trusted and they leave your site.
3. The affiliate programs you are working to earn money from visit your website. They find it poorly designed with little information. They decide that you are not a good fit for their company. They no longer offer you membership in the affiliate program.
4. You get no inbound links to your website. Inbound links are those which are pointing to your website. Google finds these to be valuable when ranking websites. If another website (or several of them) find your website to be a good resource, they definitely will rank your website higher. But, other websites will not do this if your content is poor in quality.
5. You make little to no money at your website since it is poorly ranked and is not attracting any repeat visitors.
Content for your website needs to be well-written and organized. It needs to be informative and useful to anyone who will visit and read it.
BEST STRATEGIES KEYWORDS AND CONTENT
Now that you have the basics about keyword usage and the importance of content, how do you bring the two things together so that your website will prosper?
There is no direct formula for doing so, but you can find some real results if you implement a number of known methods to help you. Google itself often provides a great deal of suggestions in terms of keyword usage. In your balancing act for quality content and keyword ranking, keep the following strategies in mind.
GO WITH QUALITY CONTENT FIRST
First things first, write quality content for your website. Nothing else will be as important to the success of your business has having quality content on it. There are several ways you can do this successfully.
1. Use factual information You want individuals to come to your website knowing that what you have to say is real and valuable to them. Therefore, each page should contain factual information. Before you post a blog post or an article, verify the information you are going to present. For example, going back to the example about the table search, be sure that you are providing factual information on the wood type, size, history or other topic.
2. Make it interesting Coming to a website filled with lines and lines of information that is boring is going to be so dull people will leave. Without spending too much time in the process, add some statistics. Use descriptive language that paints the picture for the reader, “these mahogany tables are designed in the style used by Ancient Romans… ”
3. Become a resource One of the best ways to ensure you have quality information on your website is to make your website the one-stop shop for all information on that niche. For the reader, a website that contains all of the information they need is going to be highly valuable. You may provide information about the history of tables, how to use tables… tips for staining them… and so on, for example. These items help you to become the resource these individuals need to have.
4. Be the expert For those who play a role in your website (and this is a very good thing) be sure that people who visit your website know that you are the expert in the field. You should stand out as being the authority. You do this when you provide valuable content to them. Do the hard research and find those interesting subjects to talk about. Answer questions. Relate to your customer base.
When you put these items together, the end result is very simple. You have a website that is packed with great content that people can naturally benefit from reading.
Chances are also good that you also have a website that is filled with quality keywords. After all, if you are writing about your topic and exploring all areas of it, you likely are using the most important words related to it. Still, you should still do some research and get better quality keywords into your work.
USING KEYWORDS PROPERLY –
There is no better way to rank your quality content in the search engines than to use keywords properly. It is often the case that website owners see this as a step they can skip. Instead of doing the research to find the right keywords for their websites, they think they already know what they are. This is often not the case.